Ambassador Dario Item on Nomad Digital Residence in Antigua and Barbuda
Antigua and Barbuda has launched a ‘Nomad Digital Residence’ (NDR) programme effective immediately. Under the programme, Antigua and Barbuda offers eligible persons the world over the opportunity to live in Antigua and Barbuda for up to two years.
The programme is designed for persons whose work can be done remotely and are desirous of doing so from a safe Caribbean country with access to modern amenities, including a sound telecommunications infrastructure. Eligible persons will be granted a special-resident authorisation that will be valid for up to two years in the first instance.
Prime Minister Gaston Browne, in announcing the NDR programme, said that applications can be made from anywhere in the world to a dedicated government website.
The Prime Minister said that the purpose of the programme is to attract to Antigua and Barbuda persons who can work remotely and yet service the requirements of their employers or their clients if they are self-employed.
“In turn, these persons will rent accommodation, lease motor vehicles, shop in supermarkets, eat in restaurants, visit places of entertainment and help to put money in the pockets of Antigua and Barbudans, and aid the economy”, Mr Browne declared.
“Antigua and Barbuda is in a unique position to offer the ‘Nomad Digital Residence’ programme because, with our very low fatalities from COVID-19, very small number of active cases and our effective system of containing community spread, our country is one of the safest environments in the world”. Additionally, the Prime Minister pointed out that “the government has invested in modern medical facilities, including a state-of-the art Infectious Disease Clinic and Personal Protective Equipment for a brigade of medical personnel”.
The country’s telecommunication system, linked seamlessly to the rest of the world, also places it in an advantageous position to attract persons seeking a safe environment in which to work and live their lives.
The Prime Minister stressed that persons entering Antigua and Barbuda on the NDR programme “will be required to comply with all our protocols regarding COVID-19 in their own interest as much as for the welfare of the Antigua and Barbuda community”.
“This is an opportunity for the country to earn some of the money that we have lost from the decline in the tourism sector that has affected everyone. Therefore, it is in our collective interest to support and promote our ‘Nomad Digital Residence’ programme, and I urge everyone — persons and companies — to publicise the dedicated website on their web pages and social media pages”. “This in in everybody’s interest”, Prime Minister Browne concluded.
How to Apply
Applications for the Nomad Digital Residence Visa are required to be submitted through the official website https://antiguanomadresidence.com
Applicable fees and how to pay
A non-refundable NDR visa fee is payable with the application.
The fees are:
- Single applicant: US$1,500.00
- Couple US$2,000.00
- Family of 3 and over: US$3,000.00
Fees are to be paid by credit card as shown on the application form. A receipt will be issued for the applicant and declared dependents. The receipt should be included with the application.
- Evidence that the non-refundable fee was paid in respect of each applicant
- A passport photo of each applicant: 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm) head must be between 1 -1 3/8 inches (25–35 mm) from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head.
- A copy of the biographical data of passport
- A certificate indicating medical insurance coverage for the period of their intended stay in Antigua
- Police clearance for each applicant over the age of 16
- Proof of relationship to dependent(s) for whom the application is made by the main applicant
- Evidence of employment, including self-employment
- A declaration by the main applicant, certifying (a) expected income of no less than US$50,000 (Fifty thousand US dollars) or the equivalent in other currencies, for each year of the 2 years in Antigua, and (b) that he/she has the means to support himself/herself and accompanying dependants during their stay in Antigua and Barbuda.
The applicant(s) will be informed by email of successful application.